CVR: Online Registration Remains Suspended, INEC Clarifies

CVR Online Registration Remains Suspended, INEC Clarifies
Prof Mahamood Yakubu
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

Following several weeks of complaints about hitches experienced in the online registration of voters, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Tuesday announced that the portal has been shut.

In a briefing in Abuja before the Youth Vote Count Mega Music Concert recently, the Resident Electoral Commissioner of the Federal Capital Territory, Yahaya Bello, provided the clarification.

Bello questioned why Nigerians continue to flock to the commission’s website despite a warning from the commission last month that it will stop accepting online registrations on May 30.

He says that those who complained that online registration was no longer valid ought to have sought clarification before drawing such hasty conclusions.

.

Read Also: 2023 Polls: Court Blocks INEC From Ending Voter Registration

He said, ‘If you are talking about online registration, I will say it is very effective. What happened is that it has been suspended. Those who applied online have been captured and are in our records before we suspended it.’

This is even as he stated that the Permanent Voters Cards of people who are just completing their registration may not be ready until the first month of 2023.

‘The online registration was suspended to allow us in INEC to prepare the PVC while the physical process continues.

‘Those we saw in long queues today were those who didn’t seize the opportunity to register early. They are rushing today because of the sensitizsation. Otherwise, we would have been following this thing by sequence,’ he said.

Bello, who sounded a note of warning at the event on Tuesday, said anybody just registering cannot immediately collect them until after the end of the whole exercise.

‘I want to make it clear that the PVCs you see people collecting now are from 2011, 2019 and last year. Those who are participating now till June 30 won’t be able to collect theirs now.

‘It is a process that will allow us to print these cards. The collection of the PVCs will not commence until the first month of 2023 and it will be done in person, not by proxies,’ he stated.

The Youth Vote Count Mega Music Concert is a joint event put together by INEC in collaboration with YIAGA Africa and the European Union.

Africa Daily News, New York

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print