Listen to article
Suspected bandits on Sunday laid an ambush on the ever-busy Abuja-Kaduna road abducting an unknown number of travellers.
Those who narrowly escaped the attack revealed that the gunmen blocked the road at Katari village at about 2 pm, operating for more than an hour.
One of them told reporters that they had to turn back due to the repeated sounds of gunshots.
The citizen recalled that drivers had to park some kilometres away from the scene.
They resumed their journey after vehicular movement resumed on the other side of the highway.
‘Many travellers must have been kidnapped or escaped into the bush’ he said.
He continued, ‘We saw at least fifteen cars parked and empty when we passed the scene of the attack,” he disclosed.
Police spokesman, Mohammed Jalige was yet to react to the development as at Sunday night.
Africa Daily News, New York reports that Katari has witnessed several attacks and kidnapping incidents in recent months.
In September, Emir Hassan Atto of Bungudu in Zamfara was taken away; a police officer attached to him was killed.
The monarch, a former Secretary to Zamfara Government, was freed after one month in captivity.
A video released online showed two empty vehicles, which appeared to have been abandoned in the middle of the highway.
An eyewitness travelling along the route had released a short video showing two abandoned vehicles while insinuating that the occupants had been abducted.
AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK