Boko Haram Seriously Regrouping In Nasarawa, Sule To Buhari

Boko Haram Seriously Regrouping In Nasarawa, Sule To Buhari
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

Nasarawa State Governor Abdullahi Sule has alerted President Muhammadu Buhari over the presence of Suspected members of the terror sect, Boko Haram, in the state causing security concerns and threatening peaceful existence.

The governor briefed the President on the issue yesterday when he visited after which he spoke to reporters.

According to him, the Boko Haram members were dislodged from a location along the Abuja/Nasarawa borders last year, only for them to resurface at the Nasarawa/Benue State borders.

Read Also: Boko Haram Insurgents Attack Geidam Town In Yobe

They are already wrecking new forms of havoc, he said, amidst reports that bandits killed seven soldiers in the state on Monday.

He said some of the Boko Haram elements active in the Nasarawa State belong to the Darussalam group that was dislodged from Niger State.

Some of them were killed during the joint security operation, and about 900 others arrested.

The governor maintained that those arrested confirmed their membership of the Boko Haram insurgency group.

Sule said Nasarawa had continued to have security challenges, noting that having briefed the president, he is confident that action will be taken to curtail the menace.

Speaking on the security situation in his state, the governor said

‘We thank the security forces that they have been able to dislodge them, but now, they have gone back and gathered at our border with Benue and they are causing a lot of havoc.

‘Therefore, it (this meeting) was an opportunity as Mr. President wanted to know, and I briefed him. I strongly believe that just like the decision was taken last time to take care of this issue, another decision will be taken.’

Asked how he was certain that the criminals he was talking about were Boko Haram and not bandits, the governor said: ‘First and foremost, it was easy for us to know who these people are.

‘If you remember, they used to gather at a place called Utu in Toto Local Government Area (LGA). When I came here the last time, I appealed to Mr. President.

‘Then, the Department of State Services (DSS), the Police, the Air Force, and the Army had a joint operation and they were able to dislodge them.

‘When they dislodged them, a lot of them were killed. Some of them ran away and left members of their families. We took hostage about 900 members of their families in Lafia, including children and wives.

‘The Special Forces, which we have in Doma, Nasarawa State, took the hostages. A lot of interrogations were done and most of them confirmed that they were indeed Boko Haram. In fact, they gave us the name of the person who used to be like the second-in-command to Shekau.’ He concluded.

 

AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print