Listen to article
In lieu of the recent crowd stampede disaster in South Korea, some candlelight vigils and rallies have been held in South Korea on Saturday to fully commemorate the 156 people who had been killed in a Halloween crowd crush, with public anger growing over one of the country’s deadliest peacetime disasters.
The victims who had been mostly young people, were among the estimated 100,000 who had flocked to the capital Seoul’s popular Itaewon nightlife district to celebrate the first post-pandemic Halloween.
South Korean law enforcement officials have also conceded that there was insufficient safety planning for a crowd that large, and some of the opposition politicians have accused President Yoon Suk-yeol’s government of not taking responsibility for the disaster.
Thousands gathered in central Seoul at a candlelight vigil organised by a civic group linked to South Korea’s main opposition party, with many holding signs that said: “Step down, Yoon Suk-yeol.”
“I think I will live with the anxiety that one day I may suffer such an accident as well,” said participant Yoo Da-eun, 23.
“In fact, even when I was coming here, I was worried that something would happen because of the large crowds.”
The organisers — who had also held anti-government rallies prior to the disaster — said they were conducting similar vigils in other cities including Busan and Gwangju.
In Itaewon, at a subway exit near the alley at the centre of the Halloween crush, there was a sea of white floral tributes and notes.
One read: “I will remember you forever.”
Mourners also left chocolates, beer, soju — a Korean alcoholic beverage — and strawberry milk.
At a candlelight vigil in Jeju, around 100 mourners gathered outside city hall. Some lay flowers to pay tribute to the victims.
Reflecting public anger over the tragedy, a woman identified by local media as the mother of one of the victims was seen ripping apart floral wreaths left by the president and Seoul’s mayor at a memorial on Friday.
“What’s the point of (these flowers) when they couldn’t protect (our children)? Think about it,” she was seen saying in footage broadcast by local TV stations.
“What’s the point of standing next to these (wreaths) when you let our babies die?”
Police officers were then seen escorting the woman away from the memorial.
On Friday, President Yoon offered an apology for the disaster, joining other top officials — including the national police chief and the interior minister — in doing so.
“As a president who is responsible for the lives and safety of the people, I am deeply saddened and sorry,” he said.
“I know that our government and I… have a huge responsibility to ensure that such a tragedy never happens again.”
South Korea is in a period of national mourning that ends Saturday, with flags flying at half-mast and entertainment events cancelled.