Listen to article
Fresh reports reaching the desk of Africa Daily News, New York has revealed that a 50-year-old man is under arrest and has been detained after a fight had broken out with another subway rider which had ended with that man being fatally struck by a train in Elmhurst, Queens.
The suspect had been reportedly standing near the platform of the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave. station at around 4:45 p.m. Monday when the other 48-year-old Heriberto Quintana bumped into him while walking by and the contact had sent the suspect’s cellphone tumbling onto the subway tracks.
Read Also: Trump Endorses Rep. Zeldin As New York Gov Candidate
The suspect, who has been identified as Carlos Garcia, had told the victim to go get his phone. He had refused, and the two began arguing which then became a brawl.
In a defensive move, Garcia had then pushed the victim off his body which had caused him to slide headfirst across the platform into the front of a moving F train. Quintana, of Queens, had been pronounced dead at Elmhurst Hospital.
Garcia had been arrested on a charge of manslaughter. He does not have a significant criminal history.
It was the ninth killing in the city’s subway system this year, and the 10th in transit.
The latest in a series of high-profile incidents in the New York City transit system has left transit president Rich Davey frustrated.
“Yeah, it’s frustrating, you know, I wish I could wave a magic wand and, you know, get folks who need mental health services mental health,” Davey said. “Some of these crimes are senseless. Yesterday’s act, it seems, was senseless. Was over a cellphone, for God’s sake.”
Davey toured the Union Square station Tuesday, which has been the scene of several incidents in recent months-where there was a sizable police presence in the afternoon.