In the recent incident in Jordan, three bodies have been pulled out from the rubble of a building in Jordan’s capital on Friday three days after it had collapsed thereby bringing the overall toll to 13 dead.
A massive rescue operation had also been mounted since the four-story residential building had been toppled over on Tuesday in Jabal al-Weibdeh, one of Amman’s oldest neighborhoods.
“Rescue teams were able to extract three more bodies on Friday; the death toll now stands at 13,” the country’s public security directorate said in a statement, adding that the “search is continuing”.
It had also been reported that a one-year-old girl had been among the dead, along with a woman and a young man, according to an AFP correspondent at the scene and the body of at least one more person, a woman, is believed to still be buried under the rubble.
On Thursday, emergency workers had safely rescued a four-month-old girl from the wreckage, having sustained only minor bruises.
Jordan’s public prosecutor has ordered the arrest of three people as part of the investigation, including the building manager as well as two other people involved in renovation work, state media said.
In another reoirt, the judiciary in Iran on Wednesday announced that no fewer than 21 people including high-ranking local officials have been jailed after they were convicted over the deadly collapse of a building that triggered widespread anti-corruption protests.
Africa Daily News, New York reports that the 10-storey Metropol building which was under construction in the city of Abadan in southwestern Khuzestan province collapsed on May 23, leading to the deaths of 43 people.
‘The 21 defendants were sentenced to three years in prison for manslaughter caused by failing to respect government regulations and building safety, resulting in the deaths of 36 men and 7 women,’ the Judicial Authority reported on its Mizan Online site.