Australia To Sack Over 10 Soldiers Over Afghan Killings

Australia To Sacks Over 10 Soldiers Over Afghan Killings
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

Australia has finally terminated the job of at least 10 special force soldiers after the release of a report that found credible evidence of unlawful killings of unarmed prisoners, farmers, and civilians in Afghanistan, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) said on Thursday.

This is coming after an independent report published last week in redacted form said that there is credible evidence that Australian Elite Soldiers unlawfully killed 39 people during the Afghan war, the long-awaited report has found.

Read Also: Spy Case Of Australian Writer Reaches China Court

The killing which took place between 2009 -2013 saw soldiers kill unarmed Afghan prisoners, farmers and civilians.

None of the 19 ex-special soldiers was identified in the report, which was written by a state judge appointed by the inspector-general of defence.

The 19 current and former soldiers have been referred for possible prosecution. Amid the immediate fallout, the ABC said 10 soldiers had been formally notified that they would be dismissed.

Australia’s most senior military official has apologised to Afghanistan last week after the release of the report and Afghanistan said it had been assured by Australia that it was committed to ‘ensuring justice’. Australia sent troops to join U.S.-led forces that tried to defeat the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan in the years after the Islamists were overthrown in 2001.

The international forces became deeply involved fighting insurgents despite the fact that their initial role was to train Afghan soldiers.

 

AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print