Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), who confirmed the incident noted that the fire had been put off by emergency responders.
According to him the combined efforts of emergency agencies put off the fire within 30 minutes.
“Upon arrival of the Emergency Responders at the scene it was revealed that a building (Maola Shopping Mall) was affected by a fire of unknown origin.
“A combined team of LASEMA responders from Lagos Central Zone, Lagos State Fire (Sari Iganmu), Federal Fire service and Nigeria Police Force were able to curtail the flames within the shortest period of time.
“Only shops 35 and 36 on the last floor of the building stocked with different goods such as cartoons of detergents, kitchen utensils, were affected with the fire and no casualties in the market,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.
He said that the responders had returned to their bases and also urged members of the public to comply with the COVID-19 social distancing guidelines laid down by the Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to avoid endangering themselves.
AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK