As more woes fall on him, Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at Manchester United has been completely plunged into some fresh doubts after he had been punished for his recent arrogant attitude by being dropped from the squad for Saturday’s clash with Chelsea following his tantrum against Tottenham.
It had been reported that Ronaldo had stormed down the Old Trafford tunnel with several minutes remaining in the Manchester United’s 2-0 win over Tottenham on Wednesday.
Read Also: Full List Of All Winners Of The Ballon d’ Or 2022 Awards
The 37-year-old star had also reportedly told United manager Erik ten Hag that he did not want to come on as a late substitute.
Ten Hag said after the Tottenham match that he would “deal with” the issue on Thursday and Ronaldo had been seen driving into United’s Carrington training headquarters before the announcement of his punishment.
It was not the first time Ronaldo had shown public dissent at his role in Ten Hag’s team and the United manager has finally responded by wielding the axe.
“Cristiano Ronaldo will not be part of the Manchester United squad for this Saturday’s Premier League game against Chelsea. The rest of the squad is fully focused on preparing for that fixture,” a United statement said on Thursday.
It is believed Ten Hag’s decision to remove Ronaldo from the squad has the full backing of the United hierarchy.
United chiefs are lso said to be weighing up a decision on Ronaldo’s long-term future after the disciplinary issue.
But whether there can be a way back for the unhappy Portugal striker remains to be seen. United would have to wait until the transfer window reopens on January 1 before they could sell Ronaldo, whose huge salary could prove a stumbling block to potential buyers.
Disappointed by United’s failure to qualify for the Champions League, Ronaldo has been trying to engineer a move away from Old Trafford since the end of last season.