‘I Won’t Appeal My Disqualification From Yobe Election’ – Lawan

How Oil Theft Is Pushing Nigeria’s Economy Into Coma – Lawan
Dr. Ahmad Lawan
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

Embattled President of the Nigerian Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has finally revealed that he will not be appealing against the recent judgement which had been made by the Federal High Court, Damaturu, which had consequently disqualified him from the Yobe North Senate Seat of the National Assembly in the 2023 poll.

Lawan had also made this clear in a statement on Thursday in Abuja that he has accepted the judgement in good faith.

Read Also: Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Prevents reconciliation, Claims Lawan

“Yesterday, Wednesday, Sept. 28, the Federal High Court in Damaturu delivered judgement on the rightful candidate for Yobe North Senatorial District for the 2023 National Assembly election.

“The said judgement disqualifies my candidature and therefore my participation in the elections.

“After due consultations with my political associates, supporters and well-wishers, I have decided not to appeal against the judgement. I accept the judgement.

“At this juncture, I deem it appropriate to thank His Excellency, Sen. Ibrahim Gaidam for the leadership role in the APC political family in Yobe. I also thank His Excellency, Gov. Mai Mala Buni for the support and brotherhood,” he said.

Lawan added: “To my constituents, I thank you all for your unflinching support, loyalty and unreserved commitment to the course of building our people and Yobe North Senatorial District and indeed Yobe.

“I want to assure you that I will continue to serve you in my personal and any other capacity at all times.

“We journeyed together for a long time, and this journey will remain a lifelong journey. It has been a wonderful relationship and it can only get stronger. I am indebted to you all. Alhamdulillah.”

In another report, the President of the Nigerian Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan has asserted that the generation and collection of revenues have remained the country’s major challenges as well as the massive loss of revenue through oil theft, now ‘debilitating and threatening to throw the economy into a coma.’

Lawan, while welcoming his colleagues from the long annual recess, lamented that revelations about the scale of oil theft shows that Nigeria could soon lose all revenues from that sector.

He charged his colleagues to ensure that everything possible was done to curtail this theft.

Lawan said the nation’s economy is still challenged, and stressed the need for the National Assembly and the Executive to continually seek better responses to the dire economic situation.

 

Africa Daily News, New York

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print