The promoters of Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua have expressed their confidence that the all-British clash between both heavyweight boxers will still go on as planned despite Fury ruling it out earlier in the week.
Africa Daily News, New York reports that Fury had earlier fixed a Monday 5pm deadline for Joshua and his team to finalise on terms on the Dec 3 fight.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn had described the deadline as quite ridiculous however, when it passed, Fury called the fight off on his social media in a video calling Joshua names.
Africa Daily News, New York can confirm that talks are now ongoing between Hearn and Fury’s promoter Frank Warren behind the scenes as well as the pair’s legal teams in the hope of getting an official contract signed with the terms having already been agreed.
Warren said, ‘We’re not that far away from Dec 3. We’ve got to get it up on sale. The venue’s booked but there’s a lot of organisation involved.
“We’re working very hard to get it over the line. Tyson has told me what he wants. They’ve had the contract for 10 days and he’s lost patience with it. We’re trying to make it work. We’re waiting for the contract to come back.”
Warren and Hearn have rarely seen eye-to-eye as rival promoters but Hearn said on Twitter, “I agree with Frank”, referring to Warren’s comments about the ongoing talks between the two rival camps.
According to Hearn, the promoters and broadcasters are working hard to finalise Joshua and Fury’s fight and fielded several ‘positive’ phone calls on Monday.
Hearn went on to say there had been no talk of a deadline between the two parties despite Fury claiming the British-Nigerian had until 5pm Monday to sign the contract.