The Nigerian Army has revealed that seventeen Boko Haram terrorists, including their families have surrendered to troops of 151 Task Force Battalion deployed to Banki-Junction in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
The Army made the revelation on Tuesday via its verified Twitter handle.
It twitted that the mass surrender of the terrorists and their families was due to renewed military onslaught by gallant troops of Operation Hadin Kai in the North-East region.
“Profiling of the surrendered terrorists is ongoing”, the Army twitted.
According to reports, a chief executioner from Shekau’s faction, one Bashir Bulabuduwaye, recently surrendered to the Nigerian troops.
Bulabuduwaye, alongside his wives and children, was said to have surrendered to troops of Operation Hadin Kai stationed in Baking, Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
Africa Daily News, New York reports that about 79,000 combatants and non-combatants Boko Haram terrorists have so far surrendered to troops of Operation Hadin Kai at various locations within the theatre.
In another report, Nigeria’s anti-graft agency the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), and the Nigerian Army have agreed to put up joint efforts to tackle the financing of terrorism in the country.
The Chairman of Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, expressed confidence in the readiness of the body to partner with the Army in the areas of intelligence sharing and capacity building in their bid to weed terrorists away from Nigeria.
Bawa made this pledge while addressing officers of the Nigerian Army School of Artillery in Kachia, Kaduna State on Wednesday.
The anti-graft stressed that modern warfare has gone beyond kinetics and exchange of gunfire.
He said the military and other security agencies must “choke” the source of funding of terrorists and identify their sponsors.