$1.7bn Tax Fraud: UAE Rejects Extradition Of Briton

$1.7bn Tax Fraud: UAE Rejects Extradition Of Briton
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

In a very controversial ruling, a Dubai court has on Monday rejected Denmark’s extradition request for a Briton who had been accused of robbing the Danish state of 1.7 billion euros through co-ordinated tax fraud, one of his lawyers told AFP.

Sanjay Shah who is a Hedge fund trader had been arrested in June by Dubai police by Denmark’s request and he had been accused of running a scheme for three years from 2012 in which foreign firms pretended to own some of the shares in Danish companies and claimed tax refunds.

Read Also: ₦6.3bn Fraud: EFCC Expresses Displeasure, Appeals Jang’s Acquittal

“I can confirm that the request was denied on the grounds of insufficient information from Denmark,” Kare Pihlmann, lawyer for the 52-year-old British financier, told AFP.

Danish Justice Minister Mattias Tesfaye had also noted that Copenhagen intends to appeal the decision by a court in Dubai, if the legal basis is sufficient to do so.

Shah has said he is not guilty and claims he did not violate Danish law, according to Emirati media.

Police in the Gulf emirate said in June that Shah was arrested “with the aim of subsequent extradition for prosecution in Denmark.”

They said the arrest was carried out in close cooperation with Emirati authorities and under a bilateral extradition treaty signed in March 2022.

In another report, Nigerian internet fraudster and social media sensation, Ramon Abbass, popularly known as Hushpuppi, is set to be sentenced on September 21, 2022, according to the The United States Attorney’s Office for Central District of California, Los Angeles.

This was made known to newsmen yesterday by the court’s Director of Media Relations, Thom Mroze.

Africa Daily News, New York reports that the Nigerian, who had defrauded many people of their hard earned money before now, running into millions of dollars, has had his sentence moved three times since getting convicted in 2021.

The first came on February 14, then postponed to June 11 and now it has been put off until September 21.

 

Africa Daily News, New York

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print