Antony Blinken who is the United States Secretary of State has revealed on Friday that President Vladimir Putin’s decision to send some more reinforcements to Ukraine’s Kharkiv region has finally underlined the huge losses that Russia’s forces are currently taking in its war.
“There are a huge number of Russian forces that are in Ukraine and unfortunately, tragically, horrifically President Putin has demonstrated that he will throw a lot of people into this at huge cost to Russia, at huge cost to its future,” he said.
Blinken had also been speaking to some of the reporters at NATO headquarters in Brussels after some talks with the Western alliance’s Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, one day after the chief US diplomat had visited Kyiv.
Earlier, it had also been noted that the Russian news agencies had reported that Moscow’s forces were redeploying to the Kharkiv region in response to a large-scale Ukrainian counter-offensive.
The TASS and RIA Novosti news agencies shared video from Russia’s defence ministry, showing the movement of military hardware on a paved road, some with Russian flags and bearing the letter “Z”, a symbol of Russia’s military campaign.
Local Moscow-installed official Vitaliy Ganchev said in televised remarks that “fierce battles” were under way near Balakliya, a town in Kharkiv region that Ukraine said it had recaptured on Thursday.
In another report, the Islamic State group has claimed total responsibility for a suicide bombing near the Russian embassy in the Afghan capital Kabul yesterday that has left no fewer than two staff from the diplomatic mission and four others.
In an attack that has become the first targeting a foreign mission since the Taliban took control of power in August last year, the bomber struck near the entrance of the embassy’s consular section.
An IS fighter ‘blew up his suicide vest in a gathering attended by Russian employees’ near the embassy, the jihadist group said in a statement via Telegram channels which were obtained by Africa Daily News, New York.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, speaking to journalists in Moscow, slammed the attack as ‘absolutely unacceptable.’
Afghanistan’s foreign ministry confirmed the deaths of two embassy staff.
Four Afghans waiting for consular services were also killed and several more wounded, Kabul police said.
Violence in Afghanistan has largely declined since the Taliban returned to power, but several bomb blasts — some targeting minority communities — have rocked the country in recent months, many claimed by the jihadist Islamic State group.