Revealed: How Disgraced AGF Idris Pocketed ₦15.1bn Bribe

Revealed: How Disgraced AGF Idris Pocketed ₦15.1bn Bribe
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

It has been revealed by a report which was sighted by Africa Daily News, New York that between the months of February and December, 2021 the already suspended accountant general of the Federation, Ahmed Idris who is currently being embroiled in a corruption probe had accepted a bribe of ₦15.136 billion, which would help to accelerate the payment of 13% derivation to the nine oil producing States in the Federation.

The scandalous bribe, we learnt, had been paid through one Olusegun Akindele, which was one of the counts levelled against Idris, as his case came for trial on Friday at the Federal Capital high court.

Read Also: New AGF, Nwabuoku Tasked On Transparency, Accountability

The EFCC, which is prosecuting him and three other people also alleged that the wholesome sum of ₦84.39 billion from the federal government’s account was converted by the first and second defendants between Feb. and Nov.,2021.

The EFCC had also noted that the offence contravenes Section 155 and 315 of the Penal Code Act Cap 532 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990.

The defendants pleaded not guilty to the allegations against them.

The FCT High Court ordered that the four accused be remanded in Kuje Correctional Facility. Other defendants are Olusegun Akindele, Mohammed Usman and Gezawa Commodity Market and Exchange Limited.

The Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) arraigned them on a 14-count charge of alleged misappropriation of ₦109.5 billion.

Justice O. Adeyemi Ajayi gave the order after the submission of all counsel in the matter. She ordered that the defendants be remanded at Kuje correctional centre pending bail applications.

She adjourned until July 27 for hearing in the bail applications.

Earlier, Counsel to Idris, Chris Uche SAN prayed the court to allow the defendant to continue enjoying the administrative bail granted to him by the EFCC.

Uche added that the EFCC has the defendant’s international passport, and as such they should be allowed to come back on Monday to take their bail application. He urged the court to permit the defendants to come back on Monday and not remand them at any correctional facility.

However, the EFCC’s counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN said the administrative bail ended once the charge was filed.

Rotimi argued that allowing the Defendants to go home after their arraignment, without hearing and determination of their formal bail applications, would send a wrong signal to the society.

“To ask them to go home without coming to argue the application for bail will send a wrong signal to the society that if a less important citizen is arraigned, such person would be made to suffer.

“Having filed the application, we need to react to what they said, especially on the issue that they were granted administrative bail and they complied to it”.

Delivering her ruling, Ajayi held that the court was not a puppet to dance to the rhythm of public opinions.

Uche pleaded with the court that due to the porous security nature of the Kuje correctional facility, his client should be remanded in the EFCC custody.

 

Africa Daily News, New York

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print