African Union Denounces Sudan Talks, Labels It ‘Dishonest’

African Union Denounces Sudan Talks, Calls Its ‘Dishonest’
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

In an effort to put Sudan’s transition back on track following the military coup last year, the African Union has stated that it will not participate in talks that exclude key actors.

The majority of Sudan’s civilian actors have thus far abstained from discussions with military officials that were initiated under international supervision earlier this month in an effort to find a political compromise that would allow the resumption of urgently required Western aid.

‘The AU cannot continue these dishonest, opaque discussions which sideline participants or treat them in an unjust way,’ the bloc’s ambassador to Sudan, Mohammed Belaiche, told reporters late Wednesday.

But the AU denied it was abandoning the so-called “troika” of sponsors of the talks process, which also includes the United Nations and East African regional grouping IGAD.

Read Also: Goods Smuggling: Kenya Moves To Enhance Border Security

That was an ‘erroneous interpretation’ of Belaiche’s comments, its delegation said in a clarification Wednesday.

‘The AU representative states that he will not attend some of the activities because they are not transparent, do not respect all participants and do not conform to the principle of non-exclusion from the political process.’

Africa Daily News, New York reports that the pan-African bloc suspended Sudan after the military’s October 27 overthrow of a joint civilian-military transitional government installed in the aftermath of the army’s 2019 ouster of longtime President Omar al-Bashir.

Many foreign donors cut off aid, which accounts for 40 percent of state revenues, prompting military leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan to agree to the talks launched by the troika this month.

But the talks have been undermined by a boycott by all significant civilian players, including both Sudan’s established political parties and groups born out of the mass protests that led to Bashir’s ouster.

Since US envoys failed to persuade the civilians to give the talks a chance, the process has been put on hold indefinitely.

Africa Daily News, New York

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print