Islamic State Group Claims Responsibility For Uganda Attack

Islamic State Group Claims Responsibility For Uganda Attack
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

The Islamic State group (IS) has announced that it was behind Tuesday’s blasts in the Ugandan capital Kampala, pointing out that they were carried out by suicide bombers.

Africa Daily News, New York reports that it made its latest claim on Tuesday in the name of its so-called Central African Province (ISCAP) on the messaging app Telegram.

Providing further details, it said the first attacker, whom it identified as Abu Sabr al-Ugandi (meaning from Uganda), detonated a bag of explosives he was carrying near a checkpoint at a police station.

IS said a second cell made up of two attackers on motorbikes – ‘Abu Shahid al-Ugandi and Abu Abdul-Rahman al-Ugandi’ – detonated similar explosive bags targeting guards at the parliament building.

Read Also: Uganda Vow Not To Increase Terror Level Despite UK Warning

IS’s ‘news agency’ Amaq, which also issued a report on the subject, said that Uganda was ‘one of the countries participating in the war against Islamic State fighters in Central Africa’, – in justifying IS’s new action against the country, which only started recently.

Iscap is mostly active in DR Congo, but also operates in Mozambique, where it claimed a flurry of attacks last week. In October 2020, the group claimed two attacks in Tanzania, but no more since then.

The branch has long been linked to the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) – a Ugandan Islamist rebel group that operates in the region.

As such, authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda tend to attribute IS-claimed activity to the ADF.

AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print