Listen to article
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, on Monday, received at least a set of six girls who escapes from Boko Haram insurgents, with one of them pregnant.
Africa Daily News, New York reports that they were abducted at various locations by terrorists during attacks in northeast Nigeria.
According to several sources, the girls are aged between 20 to 25 years.
The Commissioner for Women Affairs, Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo told the Governor that ‘the victims who were freed, ran away from Boko Haram custody at Buni Yadi axis of Yobe State and trekked through the Sambisa forest for about six hours before they were rescued by security operatives.
‘The three of them were abducted on the 3rd of October 2020, while the other ones were abducted on 5th of May, 2021.’
The Commissioner told the Governor that the three who were abducted at Takulashu village of Chibok are Maryam Ishaya with one child, Racheal Simon with two children, and Esther Ayuba with two children, while Alheri Ezekiel has two children,. Victoria Andrew and Victoria James also with two children were abducted from Cofure village, Hong town in Adamawa State.
It could be recalled that on 14th April, 2014, armed Boko Haram members stormed Government Girls’ Secondary School, Chibok, and went away with over 240 female students, since then more than half of them escaped or were released, with many still in captivity.
Governor Zulum, who expressed happiness over the new development recieved the freed school girls and their children in his office at the Musa Usman Secretariat, Maiduguri.
The girls were received alongside some parents, Chairman of Chibok Local Government Area, Alhaji Umar Ibrahim, traditional rulers, stakeholders, including the Chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Borno chapter, Bishop Williams Naga.
Speaking, governor Zulum said the government was doing everything possible to ensure speedy reconstruction and reintegration of all victims of Boko Haram terrorists into the society.
‘I am very happy to receive you my daughters after you felt prey to Boko Haram terrorists. We thank God Almighty for rescuing and protecting you from the hands of terrorists.
‘As government, we will do everything possible to reintegrate and support you to continue a normal life into the society as we hand you over to your respective families,’ he said.
Zulum also said that the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari, in collaboration with Borno State Government and security agencies will act appropriately to profile thousands of surrendered Boko Haram terrorists, especially farmers and the innocent ones who were abducted and forcefully asked to join the terrorists’ group.
AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK