Nigerian Army Releases Names Of 86 Boko Haram Suspects

Army Launches ‘Crocodile Smile’ As #EndSARS Protests Persist
Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print
Listen to article

The Nigerian Army on Wednesday released a list of 86 persons wanted in connection with act of terrorism even as 6 Nigerians were convicted in a UAE court for sponsoring Boko Haram. This is coming just as a global alliance, championed by the United States has committed itself to assisting Nigeria and other West African countries to combat terrorism.

The Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS resolved to apply lessons learnt from the fight against ISIS in Iraq and Syria to defeat Boko Haram and other terror groups in West Africa. The US Department of State, in a statement released yesterday, said the resolution was taken at a virtual meeting with members of the coalition and representatives of West African states and relevant regional organizations convened by the United States and Nigeria, which held on Tuesday.

Read Also: Nigerian Army is Underfunded – Ndume

The Military in recent times has received a lot of condemnation on the way they are handling the issue of Boko Haram which can be described as “kids glove” treatment as Boko Haram Terrorist continued to hold sway in the Northern part of Nigeria. The military has also gotten entangled in human rights abuse allegations in their handling of various issues in Nigeria.

The first being the killing of member of Biafra agitators, IPOB, and the latest being the shooting at #EndSARS protesters in Lekki toll gate and the systematic killing of people of Oyigbo in Rivers state under the guise of maintaining curfew imposed by the state governor Nyesom Wike. The military has severally denied all the accusations.

In the list released by the Military, the 86 unnamed suspects were alleged to be members of the notorious Boko Haram terror group, the report says. The latest release was the fourth in such releases as the military authorities had in the past rolled out lists of wanted terrorists. The latest list was launched by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai alongside Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum at the Nigerian Army Super Camp, Chabbal in Konduga Local Government Area of the state.

The ceremony also witnessed the launch of Civilian JTF, Hunters, and Vigilantes into the operations of the Nigerian Army Super Camp.

Buratai while speaking at the event said the two events were part of activities designed for the final push to end Boko Haram activities in the North-East region. Speaking further, he remarked that the induction of Civilian JTF into the operation will tremendously help in containing the activities of Boko Haram because of their knowledge of the terrain and ability to identify Boko Haram members.

The army chief maintained that there is no Child CJTF that will participate in the operation and called on the public to support the military in fishing out remnants of the insurgents. Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum on his part commended the Nigerian Army for initiating the operation. Theatre Commander, Operation ‘Lafiya Doyle’, Major General Farouq Yahaya also said that adequate arrangements had been made for the welfare of Civilian JTF that participated in the operation.

 

AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print