Listen to article
The Lagos State Ministry of Justice said it arrested 229 suspects that allegedly took part in the mayhem in Lagos State after the Lekki Toll gate incident on Tuesday.
The ministry in a statement by Mr Kayode Oyekanmi, the Director of Public Affairs said that it would prosecute suspects that took advantage of the End SARS protest to destroy and loot public and private properties in different parts of the state.
‘The Lagos State Director of the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mrs Olayinka Adeyemi, has gone round relevant Police formations with a team of prosecutors to evaluate files of those arrested by the police with a view to determine those that have cases made against them.’
‘So far, 229 suspects have been arrested by the police for various criminal offences ranging from arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties and assault before and after the state-wide curfew.’
‘Also, the Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), has called on Lagosians to maintain peace, law and order in their respective communities.’
‘He also said that the government is committed to upholding the rule of law at all times,’ the statement said.
The ministry also stated that after the evaluation, those who had cases to answer would be arraigned before the courts on Monday, Oct. 26, while those without cases would be released.
AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK