Tax Keeps Nigeria Afloat Not Oil Money – FIRS Tells Nigerians

Tax Keeps Nigeria Afloat Not Oil Money – FIRS Tells Nigerians
Muhammad Nami
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print

The Federal Inland Revenue Services, FIRS, has urged Nigerians to pay their taxes.

Muhammad Nami, the Executive Chairman of FIRS, said the tax revenues generated by the service have kept the Nigeria’s economy going despite the outbreak of COVID-19.

He disclosed that allocations shared among states was an off-shoot of tax and not oil as being speculated.

Nami spoke on Monday in Abuja during a live appearance on the popular morning show, Kaakaki, on Africa Independent Television (AIT) as part of his national public enlightenment on voluntary tax compliance, especially educating the citizenry on stamp duty payments.

Read Also: Secondus Attacks Buhari: ‘You’re Killing Nigerians With Taxes’

He urged Nigerians and corporate bodies in the country to continue to pay their taxes as and when due.

According to Nami: “Nobody wants to pay tax but payment of tax is necessary. There is never a time that is appropriate for somebody to pay taxes. You can see it all over the world.

“This belief that with oil money we are rich is false. What you see the federal, states and local governments sharing at the federation account meetings monthly comes from the FIRS taxes paid by Nigerians or body corporate. At the FAAC meeting in July, the total amount shared among the three tiers of government was ₦696 billion. From this amount 30% came from revenue generating-agencies like NNPC and Customs. The remaining 70% which is almost ₦500 billion, came from tax money that you paid, including stamp duty. Without this money, there will be chaos everywhere. You are looking at issues relating to COVID-19 and the impact it is having on businesses today. People are actually losing jobs but it would be worse if taxes are not paid.”

Nami stressed that there would never be a convenient time for citizens to pay their taxes, stating that bankable Nigerians have been paying stamp duty on their cheque books since the introduction of the stamp duty in 1939.

He disclosed that the renewed focus on stamp duty via the recent launch of an inter-ministerial committee on the recovery of stamp duty from 2016 till date has started to yield dividends.

He said: “Before now remittance from stamp used to be an average of about ₦17 billion and ₦18 billion per year, Currently, it is in the region of ₦80 billion. I can confirm to you too that a commercial bank which has not been remitting this stamp duty before now in the month of July alone remitted about N1.2 billion so we are not playing about it. We know that oil revenue is not there. We know that we are in a serious economic crisis and the only way to ensure that Nigerians are happy with the government is to ensure that this money deducted from their hard-earned income but which is not remitted is remitted to government coffers.”

 

AFRICA DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK

Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on print
Print