Catalonia’s former president Carles Puigdemont, who fled Spain in 2017 after a secession attempt, can contest EU polls this month, a Madrid court said Monday, overturning a decision by the electoral board.
A court spokesman said Puigdemont would be able to run, as would Toni Comin and Clara Ponsati, who were in the regional government during the secession bid and fled. They had also been excluded.
The decision comes a day after the Supreme Court ruled there had been no grounds to bar them and asked an administrative court in Madrid to “immediately” provide a ruling.
It said contesting an election was “a fundamental right” recognised by the constitution and that fleeing the country could not be a cause for ineligibility.